Ladies With Chutzpah

Monday, May 17, 2010





Last week, I was in need of inspiration and a laugh.  This week, I suspect that an incredible friend of mine could use the same.  

My friend loves champagne, fashion, and great food.  She always has a smile on her face.  And while she looks like a cream puff (a well-toned, designer cream puff), she has proven herself to be one tough cookie.  

Right now, she is working hard - incredibly hard - to get well.  

It is not fun or easy, though she has a talent for making it sound both in her hilarious and touching letters home.

That's chutzpah.   

Here are few lines from some other women with chutzpah.  

I hope they bring a smile to your face, S.  

You always bring one to mine.


"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; a bird sings because it has a song."  Maya Angelou

"Those who don't know how to weep with their whole heart don't know how to laugh either."  Golda Meir

"We don't see things as they are.  We see them as we are."  Anais Nin

"A man on a date wonders if he'll get lucky.  The woman already knows."  Monica Piper

"I've been on a calendar, but never on time."  Marilyn Monroe

"The world is round, and the place that seems like the end may also be the beginning." Ivy Baker Priest

"Before marriage, a man will lay down his life for you; after marriage, he won't even lay down his newspaper."  Helen Rowland

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.  You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."  Eleanor Roosevelt 

"Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying, but when God talks to us we're schitzophrenic?"  Lily Tomlin

"Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself."  Rita Mae Brown

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship."  Louisa Mae Alcott  (Go, Jessica Watson!)

"When I was born, I was so surprised I didn't speak for a year and a half."  Gracie Allen

"I found out why cats drink out of the toilet.  My mother said it's because the water is cold in there.  And I'm like, How did my mother know that?"  Wendy Liebman


image via Under A Paper Moon

5 comments:

  1. I can't read them all now through my teary eyes. I will pop back soon for some more inspiration. Beautiful words for our dear friend.
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Kate - she is amazing. You may have to email this to her as I don't think she can access your blog or facebook over there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great (and moving) piece Kate. It reminds me of the old poem I get Kirk to practice writing with called "Don't Quit", Mrs M certainly has the attitude and support to pull through and all our thoughts are with her and her Family.


    When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,

    When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
    When the funds are low and the debts are high,
    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
    When care is pressing you down a bit-
    Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
    Life is queer with its twists and turns,

    As every one of us sometimes learns,
    And many a fellow turns about
    When he might have won had he stuck it out.
    Don't give up though the pace seems slow -
    You may succeed with another blow.
    Often the goal is nearer than

    It seems to a faint and faltering man;
    Often the struggler has given up
    Whe he might have captured the victor's cup;
    And he learned too late when the night came down,
    How close he was to the golden crown.
    Success is failure turned inside out -

    The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,
    And you never can tell how close you are,
    It might be near when it seems afar;
    So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
    It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, you have written a beautiful blog. S will love it and you have been able to say what will all feel. Fiona T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very profound quotes. A lot can be said in a few words. Words are very powerful tools for communicating a persons whole life experience into one sentence.
    Thanks very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments. Fire Away!

 

© Eating The Daisies All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger